The Decorated Cage
The Lord gave me eyes to see that I was living in a cage and that I had decorated and made myself at home there. When He showed me this, I desperately wanted to run forward, but didn’t know how. I didn’t know how to facilitate moving forward because I had always existed in the caged area. I was frustrated with myself and I wanted to will myself forward, however this left me exhausted and feeling defeated. I remember laying on the floor for hours telling myself that I would never move forward and I felt like such a loser.
The Cure: His Face
God showed me the cure to my idols and all my issues, which was seeing His face. The knowledge of God is the cure-all. When we look to His face and seek God alone, everything else begins to fall in line and fade away. It makes God God-sized again and out problems their true size: very small and insignificant to a mighty, all-powerful God. Mark Batterson said in his book In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: “Our problems seem really big because our God seems really small, in fact, we reduce God to the size of our biggest problems.” So what is the “knowledge of God”? It’s finding out who God is through His Word and letting it reshape your ideas of how majestic and powerful He is. It’s getting that renewed revelation of Him all the time because He can never cease to amaze us.
Baby Steps: The Process
Let’s start with choices. We are creatures made for worship and we will worship something. If you don’t know what you worship, see what you spend your time and mental energy doing and thinking about. That is what you worship.
Cover yourself with prayer:
- Eyes: control yourself and do not visually feast or gaze on anyone or thing accept your God (Job 31:1).
- Thoughts: be surrendered to the cross (the world says do, the cross says done).
- Feet: move towards Christ, not towards men (literally follow Him, not that guy down the hall).
- Hands: work for the Lord and not for men (Col 3:23).
- Desires: Be for your King and do not be distracted, in the name of Jesus!
- Flesh: align yourself with the Word of God.
- Ask for a revelation of God’s grace and love for you.
Think about a baby that is learning to walk. When the baby falls over, do you see the parents rushing over to kick the baby and scream, “Geez! What is your problem? Why can’t you just walk?!” No. That would be absurd. So why do we think our Heavenly Father does that? He knows we are weak because He made us this way. He wants us to be dependent on Him. He is right there with you.
Know that there is no condemnation in Christ (Rom 8:1). What does that even mean? It means we are forgiven and freed when we repent. There is a difference between conviction and condemnation. Don’t shut off conviction or harden your heart to it; that is the Holy Spirit speaking to you.
- Here’s the difference:
- Conviction provides a way out.
- Condemnation provides guilt and beats you down.
Correct Wrong Thinking
- All emotions stem from your mind and what you think.
- What you think is what you become.
- Renewing your mind (Romans 12:2). What does that even mean? It means washing your brain out with God’s Word and cleaning all the dark corners with truth. Letting His truth change the way you think (also see Part 3 for more details on renewing your mind).
- Fill your mind with truth (God’s Word). What does this mean? It means thinking on what is true. See Philippians 4:8.
- Binding up the strong man or he will come back with seven more evil forces against you (Matt 12:29). If you just clean out but you don’t fill up with God’s Word, then you will be attacked again and even harder. Fill up with truth and know your identity and authority in Christ.
- Seek God’s face deeper and deeper and asking for more revelation of the roots of the stronghold.
Identity in Christ
- Has anyone ever heard this and asked, “What does that even mean?”
- Believing what and who He says you are, trusting Him to speak truth, and acting accordingly. It’s as simple as that, but its many times the simple things that are the most life changing.
[Continued in Part 5]